For more information about the Coronavirus (COVID-19), including vaccine information, visit our FAQs page.
Over-the-counter (OTC) COVID-19 at-home test kits
New federal guidelines let you get reimbursement for eligible over-the-counter COVID-19 tests purchased January 15, 2022 or later. This mandate is in effect until the end of the federal public health emergency. Be sure to check back regularly as this coverage could change.
Members can get four free tests through COVIDTESTS.gov. These government provided tests do not count towards the minimum benefit of eight tests per member per 30 days as outlined below.
What you need to know
Based on the guidelines provided by the Biden administration, MHBP will cover up to four (4) OTC COVID-19 diagnostic antigen rapid home tests per 30-day period for each person covered under your plan. For example, a family of four covered under MHBP could be reimbursed for up to 16 tests per 30-day period.
Note: Each test is counted separately even if multiple tests are sold in a single kit. So, if you buy one kit that includes two tests, we’ll reimburse you for up to two kits.
Other things to keep in mind:
- Tests must be approved, cleared or authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- These tests don’t require an order from your doctor to qualify for reimbursement. Tests ordered by a provider are not subject to the reimbursement limit.
- Tests must be used to diagnose a potential COVID-19 infection. Tests used for employment, school or recreational purposes are not eligible for reimbursement.
How do I get reimbursed?
Direct Coverage of OTC COVID-19 tests:
To keep you from having up front out-of-pocket costs, most OTC COVID-19 tests are covered through CVS Caremark®. Members can obtain an OTC COVID-19 test with no upfront out-of-pocket cost, simply by presenting your MHBP ID card to any in-network pharmacy that elects to offer COVID-19 tests.
You may also order COVID-19 tests online for pickup at your local CVS Pharmacy®.
- Login or register for the Aetna member website.
- Select ‘Get Test Kits and Reimbursements’ and then select ‘Order Tests from a CVS Pharmacy’. You will be redirected to the CVS Pharmacy website.
- Select how many at home tests you need and enter your zip code to find the closest CVS Pharmacy locations with test inventory.
- Enter the information from your MHBP ID card
- Place an order for store pick-up.
You may also access directly from Caremark.com or the CVS Caremark® mobile app (available for Android and Apple).
Direct Member Reimbursement:
An online claims submission process through Caremark.com and the CVS Caremark® mobile app (available for Android and Apple) are available.
- Sign in or register at Caremark.com.
- Upload your proof of purchase; this can be a digital receipt or photo of a paper receipt.
To submit a paper claim, download the form below and mail to: CVS Caremark, P.O. Box 53992, Phoenix, AZ 85072-3992.
Download the claim form.
You will be reimbursed $12 for each at-home test or the amount you paid out-of-pocket – whichever is lower.
Have Questions? Call 1-800-410-7778
24 hours a day, 7 days a week, except major holidays