Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option members – Plan FAQs
Click on a question. Get an answer.
About the plan
The Aetna Medicare Advantage plan for MHBP Standard Option offered through the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program is a nationwide plan that takes a total approach to your health. This plan offers value to federal retirees with Medicare Parts A and B by offering $0 deductibles, prescription drug coverage, and a credit to reduce Medicare Part B premiums. It also provides access to programs and services such as Healthy Home Visits, meals after a hospital stay, non-emergency transportation and SilverSneakers®.
Federal Retirees with Medicare Parts A and B will continue to pay Part B premiums with Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option. It provides the same coverage as Original Medicare but with additional benefits you wouldn’t get, such as $0 deductibles and prescription benefits. You’ll also get access to extra programs that can help you reach your health potential, including SilverSneakers® fitness membership, hearing aid reimbursement and more.
- The plan also includes a credit that reduces your Medicare Part B premiums by $75/month (up to $900/year)
- You can see any provider that is licensed to receive Medicare payments
- Selecting Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option does not change your FEHBP premium or enrollment code
- Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option is a great plan for retired members of the Mail Handler’s Benefits Plan who are looking for a plan to help them on their health journey ‒ body, mind, and spirit. Members who have Medicare Parts A and B as their primary coverage will have no deductible, low prescription costs and a way to help reduce the cost of your Medicare Part B premiums. Additional programs include Healthy Home visits, an Aetna® care advocate, and a membership to SilverSneakers®. These let you take control of your health while you keep moving and age actively.
Selecting Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option does not change your FEHB premium or enrollment code.
These rates do not apply to all enrollees. If you are in a special enrollment category, please refer to the FEHB Program website or contact the agency or Tribal Employer that maintains your health benefits enrollment.
Self Only 454 $169.56 Self Plus One 456 $424.49 Family 455 $394.05
No. This Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option is a special offering available to you if you enroll in the MHBP Standard Option through the FEHB program and have Medicare Parts A and B. While it is a Medicare Part C plan, to receive benefits under this Medicare Advantage Plan, you do not suspend your FEHB plan.
For existing MHBP Standard Option members who opt into Aetna Medicare Advantage plan, you will receive a new ID card after you provide your Medicare information. You should always present this new card when asked for insurance information.
For new MHBP Standard Option members, you will initially receive an MHBP ID card. After you provide your Medicare information, you will receive a second ID card that indicates you are in our Medicare Advantage Plan. You should always present this new ID card when asked for insurance information.
You have several options:
- Retired MHBP Standard Options members with Medicare Parts A and B who are interested in a plan that works by taking a total approach to your health.
- If you’re currently an MHBP Standard Option member, you can opt in by visiting AetnaRetireeHealth.com/MHBP or calling us at 1-866-241-0262 (TTY:711) Monday–Friday, 8 AM–8 PM ET. Provide us with your effective dates for Medicare Parts A and B and your Medicare Beneficiary ID number.
If you are new to MHBP, Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option requires two easy steps for Retirees with Medicare Parts A and B:
Step 1: Enroll as you normally would through the OPM Retirement website at RetireeFEHB.OPM.gov Or you can call 1-888-767-6738 (TTY:711). Enroll in MHBP Standard Option using enrollment code 454, 456, 455.
Step 2: Provide us with your Medicare information. Once you are enrolled through the OPM Retirement website, your basic information will be transferred to us. (Please allow 7–10 business days.) In addition, we will need the following to complete your enrollment:
- Your original Medicare effective date for Parts A and B
- Your Medicare Beneficiary ID number
You may go to AetnaRetireeHealth.com/MHBP or call us at 1-866-241-0262 (TTY:711) Monday–Friday, 8 AM–8 PM ET and provide us with this information.
- Since Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option is a Medicare Part C plan, we need your Medicare information to complete your enrollment per regulations set by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Providing us with your Medicare information will allow us to enroll you in the Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option.
Coverage and 2022 benefit changes for current members and annuitants begins on January 1, 2022.
Doctors and networks
- No. With the Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option plan, you can visit any provider that is eligible to receive Medicare payments and accepts the plan.
- You can search for providers who participate with Medicare or accept Medicare assignment on Medicare’s website. Please visit Medicare.gov/PhysicanCompare to search near you. You can filter provider results by distance, gender and hospital affiliation.
- Yes, you can visit a MinuteClinic® location for urgent care with a $0 copay.
The pharmacy you visit has access to the Aetna claim system and can determine what your cost sharing is for your covered prescription drug. The pharmacy will tell you what your cost share is for any prescription you have filled. If you are enrolled in Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option, your prescription copays for a 30 day supply will be:
- $0 for a preferred generic drug at a preferred pharmacy, $2 at a standard pharmacy
- $5 per covered non-preferred generic drug
- $40 per covered preferred brand-name drug
- $70 per covered non-preferred brand-name drug
- 15% for specialty drugs ($200 maximum)
- Yes, mail-order pharmacy is available for maintenance medications. Your share of the cost for a 90-day prescription will be the equivalent of two retail copays.
For details and forms, log in to your member website and select pharmacy benefits.
- Yes, you can visit a MinuteClinic® location for urgent care with a $0 copay.
What will I pay?
Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option is a Medicare Part C Plan. Medicare pays Aetna to administer the plan and cover your claims. Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option provides all the benefits of Medicare Advantage and allows you to keep FEHB coverage. Once you are enrolled, you do not need to do anything, but be sure you use your Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option ID card that you receive in the mail when you get care.
- Once you have completed the 2-step enrollment process, Medicare will have the necessary information to reduce your Part B premium. Your Social Security account will be credited $75 per month (up to $900 a year). If you pay your premium on a quarterly, semi-annual, or annual basis, you will see a reduction in your premium in the amount equal to the number of months.
While unlikely, it may take a few months to see the credit to either your Social Security check or premium statement, but you will be reimbursed for any credits you did not receive during this waiting period.
- You pay $0 when you visit any provider that is eligible to receive Medicare payments and accepts the plan.
Dental and vision
Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option does not include dental coverage.
- Routine eye exams are covered at 100%.
Your member website is packed with health and benefits information. When you register, you can print temporary ID cards, check eligibility or claim status, and much more. Here are just a few of the highlights:
Cost estimator tools – Provides personalized cost information. You can estimate how much you’ll pay out of pocket for medical tests, office visits and procedures ahead of time. If Medicare is your primary coverage, these estimates may not be representative of your actual costs.
Hospital comparison tool – see how hospitals in your area rank by factors important to you.
Personal health record – a private and secure online tool that captures important health information in one place, helping you stay healthy with personalized alerts and reminders and allowing you to print and share your health history with your doctors.
Provider search tool – helps you find doctors, hospitals and other providers that accept your plan. Using in-network providers will help you save money. The provider search tool also includes important provider credentials like education, board certification and languages spoken.
Aetna Mobile App™ – Puts the Aetna online features at your fingertips. It lets you view your member ID card, find a doctor, look up claims and access your personal health record (PHR). The app is available on the App Store® and Google Play. Just type Aetna.com into your mobile web browser.
We’re committed to providing you with the resources, tools and support that help ensure you achieve your best health. All our health advocacy and wellness programs are included with your plan for no extra charge. Most of these programs are only available if you have selected the Medicare Advantage plan.
SilverSneakers® fitness: An overall wellness program that may help you improve your health and live the life you want. The program gives you access to exercise equipment, classes and fun social activities at thousands of locations nationwide.
Teladoc®: Over 700 U.S. licensed doctors that you can meet with online, by phone or mobile app. (Available for all MHBP Standard Option members.)
Hearing aid reimbursement: Hearing aid reimbursement for retirees, to help you access the tools you need to engage and communicate with the world around you; reimbursement is $2,000/every 60 months.
Resources For Living®: Aetna signature program helps you find the resources you need in your daily life. With just one call, a life consultant can help you find local resources to make life easier and treat your entire health, including your social and mental well-being.
Non-emergency transportation program: A program that ensures you make it to and from doctor or hospital appointments without always having to rely on family or friends.
Meal benefit program: Aetna offers a meal benefit through our relationship with GA Foods for members recently discharged from the hospital. The program offers 14 home delivered meals; convenience for when making a meal is a difficult option.
Health information programs provide general health information and are not a substitute for diagnosis or treatment by a physician or other health care professional.
Teladoc is a convenient, lower-cost alternative to urgent care or the emergency room. Teladoc lets you access board-certified doctors by web, phone or mobile app in under 10 minutes. It’s perfect for when you’re traveling or when your doctor isn’t available. Members simply visit Teladoc.com/Aetna or call 1-855-Teladoc to get started.
Teladoc doctors prescribe medical treatment for a wide range of conditions including cold and flu, pink eye, skin rash and stress/anxiety. They can even call in a prescription to your pharmacy of choice, when necessary. All Teladoc doctors:
- Are U.S. board certified internists, state-licensed family practitioners and pediatricians licensed to practice medicine in the U.S.
- Are U.S. residents
When you have Aetna Medicare Advantage for MHBP Standard Option with Medicare Parts A and B, your consultations are $0.
Please note: Teladoc is not available to all members. Teladoc and Teladoc physicians are independent contractors and are not agents of Aetna. Visit Teladoc.com/Aetna for a complete description of the limitations of Teladoc services. Teladoc, Teladoc Health and the Teladoc Health logo are registered trademarks of Teladoc Health, Inc.
Aetna Medicare is an HMO, PPO plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in our plans depends on contract renewal. The formulary, provider and/ or pharmacy network may change at any time. You will receive notice when necessary. See Evidence of Coverage for a complete description of plan benefits, exclusions, limitations and conditions of coverage. Plan features and availability may vary by service area. Participating physicians, hospitals and other health care providers are independent contractors and are neither agents nor employees of Aetna. The availability of any particular provider cannot be guaranteed, and provider network composition is subject to change. Plan features and availability may vary by service area. SilverSneakers is a registered trademark of Tivity Health, Inc. © 2021 Tivity Health, Inc. All rights reserved. Resources For Living is the brand name used for products and services offered through the Aetna group of subsidiary companies. For accommodation of persons with special needs at meetings, call 1-800-410-7778 (TTY: 711).
Aetna is the brand name used for products and services provided by one or more of the Aetna group of subsidiary companies, including Aetna Life Insurance Company and its affiliates (Aetna). Aetna Providers are independent contractors and are not agents of Aetna. Provider participation may change without notice.
This is a summary of the MHBP Standard Option Plan. Before making a final decision, please read the 2022 official Plan Brochure (RI 71-007). A single annual $52 associate membership fee makes all MHBP plans available to you. All benefits are subject to the definitions, limitations and exclusions set forth in the official Plan Brochure. External websites links are provided for your information and convenience only and does not imply or mean that Aetna endorses the content of such linked websites or third party services. Aetna has no control over the content or materials contained therein. Aetna therefore makes no warranties or representations, express or implied, about such linked websites, the third parties they are owned and operated by, and the information and/or the suitability or quality of the products contained on them.